Committee on Special Education (CSE)
Students who are suspected of having a learning disability are referred to a multidisciplinary team called the Committee on Special Education (CSE). The Committee on Special Education (CSE) is responsible for servicing children with disabilities from 5 to 21 years of age. Children who are identified as having a learning disability are referred for Special Education. Special Education means specially designed individualized or group instruction or special services or special programs to meet the unique needs of students with disabilities. Special Education programs and services are provided for the student at no cost to the parent.
The Committee on Special Education (CSE) is comprised of but not limited to the following members of the school district who have a working knowledge of the student and who work collaboratively to create and implement the goals established for the student's individualized education plan (IEP):
- Regular Education Teacher
- Special Education Teacher
- School Psychologist
- Committee Chairperson (School District representative, supervisor or psychologist)
- Parent Member (unless the parent requests they not participate)
- Student (where appropriate)
- Other school personnel who have knowledge or special expertise regarding the student: school social worker, guidance counselor, speech therapist, educational evaluator
The following links provide important information regarding the Special Education programs & services, guidelines and details of the CSE process for parents/guardians to review; and useful resources provided by the New York State Education Department (NYSED).
Should you have any questions regarding the Special Education program and/or services provided in the Deer Park School District you can contact the Office of Pupil Personnel Services at (631) 274-4040 during school hours to speak with:
- Ms. Alicia Konecny, Assistant Superintendent of Pupil Personnel Services
- Mr. David DePriima, District Administrator of Secondary Special Education
- Mr. David Renahan, District Administrator of Elementary Special Education
- Ms. Mary Reynolds, District Administrator of Human Resources & Pupil Personnel